Sunday, May 23, 2010

Favorite Breakfasts

I love breakfast! These following two recipes are just two of my favorite recipes. I make the puffed oven pancake for me and Alexander atleast once a week. He loves it too.

Puffed Oven Pancake

2 tablespoons butter or margarine (I use canola harvest margerine b/c its the best!)
3 eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt (I leave salt out of all my baking. A habit I picked up from my mother)
A topping of your choice. The recipe says marmalade or fresh fruit with whipped cream or powdered sugar. I either use butter and powdered sugar or raspberry jelly.

Place butter in a 10-inch ovenproof skillet. Place in a 400 degree oven for 3 to 5 minutes or until butter melts. Meanwhile, for batter, in a medium bowl use a wire whisk or rotary beater to beat eggs until combined. Add flour, milk, and salt; beat until mixture is smooth. (there will be less lumps if you beat in flour first then add milk.) Immediatly pour batter into the hot skillet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until puffed and well browned. Serve warm!


Oatmeal Hotcakes

Soak overnight - 2 cups oatmeal, 2 cups water, 1 tsp vinegar

In the morning add:
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons honey
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins (optional and they taste better without;))

Just mix it all together and cook like pancakes. I like to eat mine with applesauce. Yum! I love applesauce. Did you know that you use applesauce in the place of eggs in many recipes? I even use it when I make normal pancakes! yum yum

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I've heard of puffed oven pancakes but never tried them. Recipe sounds easy enough....guess I'll have to try it now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The puffed pancake was really good! It's neat how it puffs up so big on the sides.

    I missed that about the applesauce before. Interesting! How much applesauce per egg? I've used applesauce in cakes instead of oil.

    ReplyDelete